Nowadays pendrives have become more popular as compared to CD’s and DVD’s due to their high working speed, more space availability, capability of rewriting the data, small size, less chances of being damaged etc. Besides the common uses of a pendrive it may be used for booting an operating system i.e. known as a bootable pendrive. In this post I am writing the methods to make pendrive bootable for Windows operating systems.
Why to Install OS Using Bootable Pendrive?
Booting using a pen drive is far better when compared to DVDs because the copying speed is very good in pendrives generally when compared to DVDs and hence less time will be consumed in getting your OS installed.
How to Make Pendrive Bootable for Windows?
To make pendrive bootable there are many different ways. One way is to boot them using any tool or software and other way is to make it bootable using command prompt.
Software to Make Pendrive Bootable
This is the easiest method. In this method USB Drive is inserted into the system and made bootable using a software. User does not need to put extra effort besides providing a little bit information. User has to provide the following information:
- The .iso file which is to be boot in the USB Drive.
- Path of the pen drive.
and rest of the process is carried out by the software. The process may vary according to software. In a few minutes the pendrive becomes ready to boot any software. Any of the following software may be used for making a pendrive bootable for windows :
- Passcape ISO Burner
- Universal USB Installer
- WinSetUp From USB
- WinUSB Maker
- Windows Bootable Image Creator
Making a pen drive bootable using command prompt
To make a pen drive bootable using command prompt, one has to follow the steps given below:
- Run the command prompt as administrator privileges (located as cmd.exe).
- Enter command : diskpart
- It will take you to the DISKPART section.
- Now,enter command : list disk
- Now, all the hard disk partitions and external drives may be seen in the list.
- Next command : select disk (No.mentioned against the pen drive section in the list above)
- It will select the pen drive to be made bootable.
- Now, enter command : clean
- Then, enter : create partition primary
- Now : select partition 1
- Make it active partition using command : active
- Now, format the pen drive using fat32 format by using the command : format fs=fat32
- Formatting will take little time. After formatting enter : assign
- Now exit from dispart : exit
- Exit the command prompt.
- Now, copy the contents of the iso file (after extraction) to the pen drive.
- Pen drive is ready to boot.
So, this was the complete guide for you to make a pendrive bootable. If you are facing any issues or you have any other superb way to make pendrive bootable, comment below. I will be happy to discuss with you. Thanks for reading.